This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ChooseMazola #CollectiveBias
Makeover Fish and Chips for National Cholesterol Awareness Month
September is National Cholesterol Awareness month, so with this in mind, I decided to makeover a delicious favorite: fish and chips (fries). I made several ingredient swaps that make this recipe better, and I use Mazola® Corn Oil because a clinical study showed Mazola® Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, see Mazola.com.
I love Mazola® Corn Oil because it is an all-purpose, cholesterol free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy* choice for your family. *See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health. You can use Mazola Corn Oil in recipes that call for sautéing, grilling, baking, and also in marinades and dressings.
To make makeover fish and chips for a better-for-you recipe, I made a few important ingredient swaps.
Instead of a heavy batter, I used seasoned and crushed crispy rice cereal to coat the fish. Lighter but still crispy!
Instead of deep frying, I baked the fish and chips in the oven with Mazola Corn Oil.
To lighten up the tartar sauce, I used Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. Not a fan of the Greek yogurt swap? No problem! Just use a light mayonnaise instead.
How to Make Makeover Fish and Chips
I began the recipe by washing potatoes. I like to cut the ends off so the ends of the fries are uniform. Then cut the potatoes into fries. Toss the fries with Mazola Corn Oil, then spread them onto a baking sheet and bake until crispy.
While the fries are baking, crush 2 1/2 cups of crispy rice cereal and mix with salt and pepper.
Cut 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of a white fish (I used cod) into thick strips, about 1 1/2 inches wide. Coat the fish in egg and then roll in the crushed rice cereal.
Place the fish on a baking sheet. If you have one, use a baking rack on a baking sheet. Lightly drizzle the top of each piece of fish with a little Mazola Corn Oil. While the fish is baking, combine the ingredients for the tartar sauce. All set! This is a very easy meal to make and so simple to makeover for a lighter version of fish and chips. The fish came out so crispy on the outside and perfectly flaky on the inside.
A light and crispy makeover fish and chips dinner that is easy to prepare for a great weeknight meal.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, washed
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Mazola Corn Oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds skinless, boneless firm white fish (such as cod or pollock)
- 2 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle relish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Place a large baking sheet in the oven to heat up (this helps prevent the potatoes from sticking to the pan).
- Cut the potatoes into fries, about 1/4 inch thick. Toss the potatoes with 1/4 cup of Mazola Corn Oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Remove the hot baking sheet from the oven and spread the potatoes out onto the pan. Return the pan to the oven and bake the fries at 450 for 30-45 minutes, until browned and crispy (you may wish to turn the fries halfway through the baking time to brown them on two sides).
- While the fries are baking, prepare the fish. Cut the fish into strips, about 1 1/2 inches wide.
- Crush the crispy rice cereal and combine with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Dip each piece of fish into the beaten eggs and then roll in the crushed rice cereal. Place the fish on a greased baking sheet, or on a greased wire baking rack on a baking sheet. Lightly drizzle the top of each piece of fish with Mazola Corn Oil.
- Bake the fish at 450 for 12 minutes until cooked through.
- While the fish is baking, prepare the tartar sauce by combining the Greek yogurt (or light mayonnaise), dijon mustard, and dill pickle relish.
- Serve the fish and chips hot with the tartar sauce on the side.
- Category: dinner, fish, healthy
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fish, fries, chips, healthy, dinner
Thanks for Visiting!
Thank you so much for stopping by today and checking out this Makeover Fish and Chips recipe. Please let me know when you make it! You can tag me on Instagram by using @MomNeedsChocolate or click here to see this recipe pinned on Pinterest and you can add your picture there of your finished meal so we can all see it.
Please click here to learn more about the amazing Mazola Corn Oil.