Homemade Flour Tortillas turn taco night into something extra special. Once you taste these soft, buttery homemade tortillas, there’s just no going back!
These homemade flour tortillas made with butter are a family favorite. We love taco night when I make shredded spicy chicken in a slow cooker and then put all of the toppings on the table for every to make their own perfect tacos. Sometimes I just buy a package of tortillas and the tacos are good. But everyone gets excited when I make homemade flour tortillas!
Ingredients for Homemade Flour Tortillas
To make your homemade flour tortillas, here’s what you’ll need:
- Baking powder
- Hot water – hot tap water is fine
One especially great thing about this recipe is that it only requires these five simple ingredients and all are inexpensive.
Making Homemade Flour Tortillas
To begin, whisk together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and cut it into the dry mixture. I like to do this with a pastry cutter. Click here to see a great pastry cutter on Amazon.
Next, add the hot water and mix the dough well. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes, adding a little extra flour as needed.
Your dough should form a soft ball after kneading:
Divide your dough into 10 equally sized pieces for burrito size tortillas, or 16 pieces for smaller taco size. Flatten the pieces by hand:
Roll the tortillas out very thin with a rolling pin:
Finally, pan fry your tortillas in a large skillet or on an electric griddle. Tip: an electric griddle is easier because it is usually larger than a frying pan or skillet on your stovetop.
That’s it! Now you have soft, fresh, perfect flour tortillas.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for kneading
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup hot water
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut the softened butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or fork until you have a crumb like texture similar to sand.
- Add the hot water to the mixture and stir well.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes, adding just a little extra flour as needed. The dough should be soft and less sticky after kneading.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a clean bowl. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough rest for 45-60 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 10 balls for burrito sized tortillas or 16 balls for taco sized tortillas. Flatten the dough balls into circles with your hands. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into large circles on a floured surface. Roll the dough as thinly as possible while still being able to pick it up gently without tearing the dough.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook each tortilla on each side for 30-45 seconds, until golden brown spots appear.
- Stack the cooked tortillas as you cook to keep them warm and moist and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Serve the tortillas warm with the taco or burrito fillings of your choice.
Tell me about your tortillas!
After you make your homemade flour tortillas, come back and tell me how you like them! You can leave a comment and recipe rating in the comments section below. You can also click here to see this on Pinterest and leave a comment there or even your own picture of your dessert. Another option would be to tag me on Instagram @MomNeedsChocolate. Can’t wait to hear from you!
MORE GREAT RECIPES
If you like this recipe, here are some other top Mom Needs Chocolate favorites to check out: