Apple Picking Day
Apple picking is one of my favorite fall activities. The cool autumn air matches the crisp and perfect freshness of a sweet apple.
I encourage you to start a tradition of visiting a local orchard to pick apples every fall if you are able. There is nothing like eating an apple the moment it is picked from the tree!
Apple picking is a fun activity for all ages. I love showing my daughter where our food comes from whenever possible. An activity as simple as climbing a tree and picking apples is so healthy and simple; we all need more of this in our busy lives!
The Best Apple Crisp I’ve Ever Eaten
Apple desserts are some of my absolute favorite. Apple pie, strudel, sauce, muffins, cake… but the one I always crave is apple crisp. Over the years I’ve made apple crisp many different ways. But last year I whipped up an amazing double crumb apple crisp and I’ll never again use another recipe. I think you’ll love it too!
This recipe will feed a crowd, so I recommend a 4 quart 10×14 inch baking dish. Click here to see the Pyrex version that I used and recommend.
A perfect apple crisp with a double layer of crisp! This is the classic apple crisp you’ve been looking for.
- 5 pounds Granny Smith apples, cored and peeled
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups quick oats
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the apples, granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon, and the nutmeg.
3. In a second large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, salt, and 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon. Cut in the butter until well incorporated.
4. Pour half of the oat mixture into the bottom of a greased 10×15 inch glass baking dish and pat it down evenly. Spread the apples evenly over the oat mixture in the pan, then top with the remaining oat mixture.
5. Bake the apple crisp at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 45
- Serving Size: 18
- Calories: 319
- Sugar: 40
- Sodium: 75
- Fat: 11
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 56
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 27