Looking for a fun and easy outdoor activity for kids? Make homemade sidewalk chalk paint!
Outdoor Play Ideas for Kids
When my daughter was four and had just graduated her preschool 4’s class, I found myself asking “what am I going to do to keep her occupied during the summer?!” Keeping little ones engaged in creative play and learning throughout the summer months is really important.
These are some ways we have continued the learning through summer fun:
- Park play
- Library visits and summer reading programs
- Reading a book series (we just started the Laura Ingalls Wilder series!)
- Planting and caring for a garden
- Visits to the local farmers market on the weekends
- Summer gymnastics program
- Weekly trips to our local kids science center
Another fun way to enjoy the summer months is to create crafts and activities at home. One of our favorite outdoor play crafts is homemade sidewalk chalk paint.
*While you’re here, be sure to check out my list of 155 Fun Summer Activities for Kids that are Free or Cheap.
What You Need to Make Homemade Sidewalk Chalk Paint
Here are the things you will need to make this paint:
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1 cup water
- Washable paints – make sure they are really washable! This recipe should make enough paint for you to use up to 5 different colors.
- 5 small plastic containers with lids – we used these Ziplock brand containers, but I think I would like these better (click on the links to see the products on Amazon).
- Paint brushes
How to Make Homemade Sidewalk Chalk Paint
In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup corn starch with 1 cup water.
This is really fun for kids to do themselves. Don’t worry, the mess cleans up easily!
Pour the corn starch mixture evenly into 5 small plastic containers with lids.
Add 1-2 tablespoons washable paint into each container. Cover tightly with the lid and shake to combine.
Use inexpensive paint brushes and rollers to paint the chalk onto sidewalks.
The sidewalk chalk paint washes away easily with water. Use baby wipes to clean little hands and faces and anything else that gets messy!
We used cheap brushes from the Dollar Store and even found a little roller brush that was fun.
Good clean MESSY fun!
What summer fun activities are you planning for your kids?