Dinner… the bane of the working mom’s daily life.
Okay, I may be exaggerating just a little bit. Maybe. But why in the world is it such a struggle to get dinner on the table on week nights? I mean, we wake up early to get ready for the day and prod sleepy/angry children to get ready in a reasonable amount of time while fixing breakfast and juggling lunch packing with applying our makeup and “styling” our hair into a pony tail (again) before stuffing signed school papers (that we may or have not have actually even read) into back packs and hustling everyone out the door.
And that’s just the beginning hour of the day.
We’re freaking busy, so it’s no wonder that by the time we get home at the end of the day the last thing many of us want to think about is cooking dinner. I love to cook, but on weeknights, it’s such a chore!
Easy Dinner Wins
With all that we have to do in a day, I want to make dinner EASY and AFFORDABLE! Who’s with me?! I pulled together some “spare time” (what is that?) last week and started cooking up the most easy and relatively cheap meals that you will love. This Lazy Lasagna is one of my favorites!
It’s so lazy, I didn’t even thaw the frozen ravioli.
(Looking for more super easy dinner recipes? Check out Lazy Pierogi or the “Dinner” section.)
The most difficult part of this lazy recipe is browning the ground beef and adding your favorite marinara sauce. I love Prego Traditional, but Aldi’s spaghetti sauce is my favorite because of the price.
Once you’ve made the meat sauce, the “lasagna” comes together as you layer the sauce between cheese ravioli layers. So basically, we have a bottom later of pasta, cheese, and pasta because of the ravioli. Then a meaty sauce layer before a top layer of pasta, cheese, and pasta (thank you, ravioli for making this easy!). Finally, top the Lazy Lasagna with spaghetti sauce and a hearty amount of shredded mozzarella cheese before popping the whole dish into the oven to bake.
Add a green salad and some Italian bread and dinner is served!
1 pound lean ground beef
1 jar (approx. 24 oz.) spaghetti sauce
1 bag (approx. 25 oz.) frozen cheese ravioli (no need to thaw)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium skillet, crumble and brown the ground beef over medium heat until completely browned. Drain off any excess fat.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the spaghetti sauce; set aside. Stir remaining spaghetti sauce into the ground beef; simmer on low for 5-10 minutes.
- In a glass 9×13 baking dish, arrange half of the frozen ravioli in one single layer.
- Top the ravioli in the baking dish with the meat sauce and spread evenly.
- Arrange the rest of the ravioli over the meat sauce in a single layer.
- Spoon the reserved spaghetti sauce over the top layer of ravioli. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top of the Lazy Lasagna.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and begins to brown.
Makes 8 servings.
Do you have other great weeknight quick and easy meal ideas? Tell me in the comments! I’m always looking for more great recipes to try and share.