This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FlavorInfusedGrilling #BeAChipMaster #CollectiveBias
Grilled Nachos for the Win
Nachos are always a hit. But what about grilled nachos? I made Fiesta BBQ Grilled Nachos and my family loved them!
Grilling nachos is perfect for when you want something a little different from the grill. Make them as a special addition to a barbecue, for a fun weeknight dinner, or even when camping.
The Secret Ingredient
The secret ingredient in these delicious Fiesta BBQ Grilled Nachos is not really an ingredient; it’s the smoke. Not only are the nachos grilled, they are hickory flavor infused.
I used Western Premium BBQ smoking chips. You’ll find them at Walmart in the lawn & garden section:
I found the Western Premium BBQ smoking chips in the outdoor section of my Walmart, right with the grills and grill accessories.
It’s really easier than you might think to add amazing smoked flavor to your grilled foods. After using the Western Premium BBQ smoking chips we picked up at Walmart for this Fiesta BBQ Nachos recipe, my husband and I are so excited to use them with all sorts of recipes!
For 30 years Western BBQ has worked to develop a process for drying and sizing wood to ensure the highest standards. Every 10,000 pound batch of wood is monitored for moisture content in order to provide the highest quality burn. This whole process dries the wood to just the right moisture level to make the fire-starting process super easy!
Learn more at westernchipmaster.com. You can watch a helpful how-to video, get great recipes, and also play the instant win recipe match up to win Walmart gift cards and western BBQ gift packs.
Making Fiesta BBQ Chicken Nachos
To make the Fiesta BBQ Chicken Nachos, you’ll start by chopping the vegetables. I like to do this first so they’re prepped and ready.
Next, grill two large chicken breasts until they reach an internal temperature of 170 degrees. Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces, then coat with BBQ sauce.
Next, the fun part! You’ll make a foil packet filled with Western Premium Hickory wood chips, poke a hole in the top for the flavor to escape, and place it on the grill to heat up. I used a gas grill, but you can also do this same thing with a charcoal grill. A smoker box can also be used instead of a homemade foil packet.
When those chips are good and hot and you can smell the yummy flavor, heat a cast iron skillet on the grill and add some olive oil and your chopped veggies. Cook the vegetables until they’re tender and beginning to brown.
Keep the grill lid down for at least half of the cooking time to ensure full hickory flavor infusion.
Now, you’ll want to build your nachos in a cast iron skillet so they can cook on the grill. I only have one of these skillets, so after the veggies were finished grilling, I scooped them into a bowl and used the same skillet for my nachos. Worked fine!
Fill the cast iron skillet with corn tortilla chips then layer on half of the cheese, the grilled vegetables, the grilled BBQ chicken, and the rest of the cheese. Close the grill and cook the nachos until the cheese is all melted.
Ya’ll… these nachos… so good!
I served my nachos with sour cream and chopped green onions. Other options would be chopped cilantro or hot sauce.
Do be careful about the cast iron skillet. They get HOT and stay hot for a while. I let mine cool down a bit and then my husband and I scooped nachos right out of the skillet.
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Handful of Western Hickory Smoking Chips
- 3/4 cup fresh sweet corn kernels
- 1/2 of a red onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce of your choice
- Tortilla chips
- 6 ounces grated Monterey jack cheese
- Preheat a gas grill to medium-high heat, or prepare a fire in a charcoal grill.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then grill for about 5-7 minutes on each side, until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 170 degrees. Remove the chicken from the grill; cover with foil and set aside.
- Add Western Hickory Wood Chips to your smoker box, or make a foil packet and seal the wood chips inside and poke a hole in the top for the smoke to escape and place the foil pack on the grill.
- Place a cast iron skillet on the grill. Heat the olive oil in the skillet, then add the corn, red onion, green onions, and red bell peppers. Season with some salt and pepper. Close the grill and cook the vegetables for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are tender and beginning to brown. For best results, the grill should be closed for at least half of the cooking time to infuse the hickory flavor.
- Slice the chicken into small bite-size chunks. Add the barbecue sauce and stir well.
- Fill a cast iron skillet with corn tortilla chips. Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the chips, then add the cooked vegetable mixture and BBQ chicken. Finish with the rest of the cheese. Close the grill and cook the nachos until the cheese is melted, about 5-10 minutes.
- Very carefully remove the nachos from the grill (the skillet will be extremely hot! Several heavy-duty potholders will be needed).
- Serve with sour cream and chopped green onions or cilantro.
Share the Love!
When you make Fiesta BBQ Chicken Nachos, come back and tell me how you like them! You can leave a comment and recipe rating below, tag me in a post on Instagram @MomNeedsChocolate, or snap a picture of your nachos and add it to the pin on Pinterest. Can’t wait to see how they turn out for you!
Be sure to check out westernchipmaster.com for more recipes and grilling flavor inspiration! You can enter the contest there for a chance to win gifts cards from Walmart and Western BBQ prizes. The contest began May 24, 2019 and ends September 2, 2019.
Instant win on the microsite to win Walmart gift cards or Western BBQ gift packs. Play everyday through labor day!