Set the Mood for Cooking
5 pounds beef roast (skirt steak is traditional, but we use beef chuck roast)
6 cloves of garlic, minced, divided
10 bay leaves, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning at the end
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning at the end
Dash of onion powder, plus more for seasoning at the end
1/4 teaspoon cumin, plus more for seasoning at the end
Bottle of red wine (we use Merlot)
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 ounce can tomato paste
1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 small jar chopped pimentos
- Place the beef roast in a slow cooker fat side up and add 4 cloves of minced garlic, 5 bay leaves, ground black pepper, salt, onion powder, cumin, and half the bottle of wine (reserve the second half of the wine for the end of the cooking process). Set your slow cooker to cook on low for 8 hours. When your beef roast has been cooking for 7 hours, move to step 2.
- In a large pot, sauté the onion and bell pepper in olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes.3. Add 2 minced garlic cloves and a splash of wine then sauté for a few more minutes on medium low.
- Add tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, pimentos, 5 bay leaves, a dash
of cumin, a dash of onion powder, a dash of salt, a dash of pepper, and a
little more wine and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the mixture simmers on the stove, remove the roast from the crock pot and allow it to rest for 10 minutes. Move the crock pot containing the broth from the cooked roast close to the stove. You’ll need it as you finish the dish.
- Ladle half of the broth from the roast into the pot.
Simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, shred the meat with forks.7. Add the shredded meat to the pot along with the remaining broth from the slow cooker and simmer for 20 minutes to an hour (depending on how much time you have) uncovered to let the sauce continue to reduce.
- Remove bay leaves and serve the ropa vieja with rice and Cuban jazz music.
We estimate this serves 10 people.