It’s the thought and a cake that counts
It’s so sweet to be remembered on your birthday by friends and co-workers. Little surprises make a day special and there are many ways to show a friend that you appreciate them… but without spending a lot of $$$!
I’ve made a list of 16 cheap or free ways to celebrate a friend or co-workers birthday that are fun and would be appreciated.
Number one on the list… give a card! I know, so obvious. But I have a big hint for you: check out the Hallmark $.47 and $.97 cards at Walmart.
16 Cheap or Free Ways to Celebrate a Friend or Co-Workers Birthday… Continued
Here are 15 more fun birthday celebrating ideas that are simple and frugal:
- Buy a $1 mug and fill it with candy.
- Bring donuts, bagels, or muffins to work in the morning. Because that is always an awesome surprise!
- Host a birthday potluck at work and ask everyone to bring a snack. You could actually do this monthly to cover everyone’s birthdays.
- Stop by with their favorite soda or coffee.
- Buy a small bunch of inexpensive flowers, trim them short, place them in water in a coffee mug and leave them on your co-workers desk.
- Buy a $1 mug and make a mug cake in a microwave and deliver it fresh to your co-worker.
- Pick up a $1 box of your friends favorite candy at Walmart (I always see them in big bins at the front of the store).
- Bake a cake from scratch.
- Go out to dinner with a group of friends and everyone can chip in to cover the birthday friends dinner.
- Buy your friend/co-worker a pack of their favorite pens and leave them on their desk with a happy birthday note.
- Draw or paint a picture (if you’re good at that kind of thing!).
- Decorate your co-workers desk with crepe paper and balloons before they arrive to work.
- Gift a $5 coffee shop or fast food restaurant gift card.
- Buy a big, cheap bowl and fill it with bags of microwave popcorn, some candy, and a free movie rental code.
- Start a silly tradition, such as the birthday person gets to be king/queen for the day and wear a crown and carry a scepter.
What nice things have your friends and co-workers done for you for your birthday? Tell us in the comments below!