Banana Pudding Cupcakes are based on the classic Nilla Wafer banana pudding dessert. A perfect banana cupcake filled with vanilla pudding and topped with a dollop of Cool Whip blended with pudding then garnished with a vanilla wafer… what’s not to love!
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix, prepared with milk according to package directions
- 1 8 ounce container Cool Whip, thawed
- 18 Nilla Wafers for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add the eggs, vanilla, and sour cream; mix well. Stir in the mashed bananas.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir until combined.
- Prepare 18 muffin tin cups with paper cupcake liners. Scoop the batter into each cup, ¾ full.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350 for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Set the cupcakes aside to cool completely.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the Cool Whip with ½ cup of the prepared vanilla pudding. Reserve the leftover pudding for filling the cupcakes. Refrigerate until it is time to frost the cupcakes.
- Cup a hole in the center of each cupcake about 1-inch in diameter and halfway down into the cupcake. Remove the center of the cupcake and reserve. Fill each cupcake with a heaping teaspoon of vanilla pudding. Cut off and discard the bottom half of the reserved cupcake centers to create a small “cap” to place back on the cupcake to cover the hole in the center hiding the vanilla pudding inside.
- Frost each cupcake with a generous dollop of the Cool Whip and pudding mixture. Place one Nilla Wafer cookie on top of each cupcake.
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American