If you’re wanting to make a perfect loaf of white bread from scratch, this is the recipe for you! The Best Homemade Bread in a Bag is an easy way to whip up a soft loaf of fresh bread. The method of mixing the ingredients in a Ziploc bag makes bread making a really fun process and perfect for kids.
- 2 ½ to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope (.25 ounce or 2 ½ teaspoons) fast acting dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons corn or vegetable oil
- In a 1-gallon zip-top bag, add 1 cup of flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Zip the bag closed, squeezing the air out of the bag, then use your hands to shake and move the bag until all ingredients are combined.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk and corn oil over medium heat just until it reaches 120-130F degrees.
- Open the zip-top bag and pour the warmed milk and oil into the bag. Reseal the bag, then use your hands to work the bag until the ingredients are well combined.
- Add the flour, about ½ cup at a time, working the bag with your hands between each addition, until a soft dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bag.
- Sprinkle a clean countertop generously with flour, then remove the dough from the bag and knead on the counter for 5 minutes. Add additional flour if as you knead, just until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll the dough out to a 12×7-inch rectangle. Beginning from one short end, roll the dough up tightly into a log. Place the dough into a 8.5×4.4 inch loaf pan that has been greased with non-stick cooking spray. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and set aside to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake the bread at 375F for 30 minutes or until done. Cool the bread for 5 minutes in the pan, then remove and cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- Category: bread
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: bread, homemade bread, bread in a bag