Pumpkin Hand Pies are a super delicious individual size pumpkin pie, perfect for Halloween, Thanksgiving, or anytime a pumpkin craving hits. Cut the top layer of puff pastry to look like jack-o-lanters for an extra fun holiday treat.
- 2 packages frozen puff pastry, thawed (4 sheets of pastry total)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, divided
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Unroll the thawed puff pastry and use a rolling pin to roll out each sheet to about 8-inches by 14-inches.
- Use a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter to cut out pumpkin shapes from the puff pastry.
- Lay half of the pumpkin shaped pieces of puff pastry on the prepared cookie sheets. Reserve the second half of the puff pastry pumpkins for later in the recipe.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree (be sure you’re using 100% pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling), brown sugar, 1 egg, heavy whipping cream, 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, and the vanilla extract. Spoon the filling into the center of each of the pumpkin-shaped puff pastries on the cookie sheets.
- Dip your finger or a pastry brush in water and lightly brush water around the edges of the puff pastry.
- Use a small sharp knife to cut out jack-o-lantern faces on the second half of the pumpkin puff pastries, then top each pumpkin on the cookie sheets with a jack-o-lantern puff pastry top. Gently press around the edges to seal closed (the water will help the two pieces stick together).
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water. Use a pastry brush to gently brush this egg wash over the top of the puff pastry pumpkins.
- In a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar with the remaining 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. Sprinkle the mixture over the pumpkins.
- Bake at 400F for 13-15 minutes, until the jack-o-lanterns are puffed up and golden brown. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool before serving.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin, pie, Halloween, Thanksgiving