A sweet, delicate macaron filled with PEEPS® buttercream frosting. Spring never tasted so good!
- 70 grams egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 50 grams granulated sugar
- 3 drops food coloring (optional)
- 100 grams powdered sugar
- 100 grams super-fine almond flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
- 5 marshmallow PEEPS®, yellow and regular flavor
- 1 tablespoon International Delight® PEEPS® Coffee Creamer (seasonal)
1. In a large glass or stainless steel mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Continue beating and slowly add in the granulated sugar and food coloring (optional). Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
2. Sift together super fine almond flour and the powdered sugar. Add the mixture to the egg whites and fold until combined.
3. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Continue to stir the batter until it becomes smooth. Some say the texture should be like “molten lava.” You should be able to scoop batter onto your spatula, lift the spatula, and drizzle the batter into figure 8’s in the bowl.
5. Line a large baking sheet or two small baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Use a piping bag to pipe the macaron batter in 1 1/2 inch circles onto the lined baking sheets. Leave 1-2 inches of space between each cookie.
6. Hit the cookie sheet on the counter several times to release any air bubbles in the cookies. Allow the cookies to sit on the counter for at least 30 minutes to dry until you can lightly touch the tops and no batter transfers to your finger.
7. Bake at 300 for 15-17 minutes. Until they have risen and set. Do not allow the macarons to brown.
8. Remove from the oven and cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire baking rack to cool to room temperature.
9. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the unsalted butter with an electric mixer until smooth. Set aside.
10. In a microwave safe bowl, melt 5 PEEPS in 15 second increments. 30 seconds total should be enough time to melt the PEEPS. Stir well until smooth. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then add to the whipped butter and immediately beat with an electric mixer until combined.
11. Add the International Delight PEEPS creamer to the butter cream and beat well until combined and smooth. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to set.
12. Spread the marshmallow buttercream on the bottom side of half of the macarons and top with another macaron cookie.
Refrigerate until serving.