Fried Pizza is a delicious take on the Napoleon street food, Pizza Fritta. This Fried Pizza starts with a homemade pizza crust, flatted by hand, then deep fried, topped with sauce and fresh mozzarella cheese, then baked until the cheese is melted. Finish you Fried Pizza with fresh basil and you’ll have a delicious and unique pizza dinner!
- 1 1/3 cups warm water (approximately 110F degrees)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (.25 ounce) instant yeast
- 4 cups flour, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Vegetable oil or canola oil for deep frying
- Pizza sauce
- 2 8-ounce balls of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Other pizza toppings if desired
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Set aside for 5-10 minutes until foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 3 ½ cups of the flour and the salt. Add the yeast mixture and olive oil. Mix with an electric mixer until the dough is smooth.
- Turn the dough out onto a surface floured with some of the remaining ½ cup flour. Knead for 8 minutes, adding more flour a little at a time, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough into an oiled mixing bowl, turning once to oil both sides. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and set aside in a warm place to rise until doubled, 60-90 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil to 350F degrees in a heavy pot on the stove over medium to medium-high heat.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Flatten one piece of dough by hand into a circle 8-inches across. Very carefully lower the dough into the hot oil. *Use extreme caution when frying. The oil does tend to spit, so stand back and keep children away.
- Fry the pizza dough on each side until it begins to brown, approximately 1 minute per side. Remove the pizza crust from the oil with metal tongs and set on a cooling rack.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 with the remaining dough.
- Heat the oven to 400F degrees.
- Top the pizza crusts with pizza sauce, slices of the fresh mozzarella cheese, and any additional toppings you choose.
- Bake the pizzas on a cookie sheet in a 400F degree oven for 5-10 minutes, depending on your desired level of doneness.
- Tear the basil leaves into bite size pieces, then top the pizzas before serving.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian American
Keywords: pizza, dinner, fried pizza, pizza fritta, Italian