Easy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese is filled with flavor and yet to simple and inexpensive to make. This will be your new favorite mac and cheese dinner!
- 1-pound elbow macaroni noodles, uncooked
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- ½ cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded gouda cheese (or another cheese of your choice)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water with a few pinches of salt, then add the macaroni noodles. Boil the noodles just until al dente. Drain the noodles and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk to combine. Allow the butter and flour mixture to cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the milk slowly one cup at a time, whisking each addition into the butter and flour until well combined before adding the next cup of milk.
- To the sauce, add the onion powder, white pepper, and salt.
- Allow the sauce to simmer over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until thickened, stirring very often to prevent the sauce from sticking and burning.
- Add the cheeses and whisk into the sauce until completely melted. Remove the cheese sauce from the heat.
- Add the cooked macaroni noodles and stir well. Serve the macaroni and cheese immediately.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mac and cheese, macaroni and cheese, stovetop macaroni and cheese, homemade macaroni and cheese, gouda macaroni and cheese