Chocolate Fudge Drop Cookies are a chocolate-lover’s dream. Brownie-like drop cookies that are so soft inside and topped with chocolate ganache–these will make you new friends when you make them for Christmas, a bake sale, or to welcome the new neighbors to the neighborhood.
1 package (4 ounce bar) unsweetened Bakers chocolate
3/4 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 package (4 ounce bar) semi-sweet Bakers chocolate
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Break the unsweetened Bakers chocolate bar into pieces; add the unsweetened chocolate and butter to a microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir well, then microwave for an additional 60 seconds until the butter is completely melted. Stir until smooth. (Stove top instructions: heat the butter and unsweetened chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring often until the butter is completely melted.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar and the melted butter and chocolate mixture. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Add the flour and mix well.
- Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place at least 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 6-7 minutes at 350 degrees, just until set. The sides should be starting to set but the top still very shiny. Do not over-bake or the cookies will be dry and crumbly. The cookies will continue to set as they cool.
- Use a spatula to transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and cool the cookies completely to room temperature.
- To make the chocolate ganache frosting, chop the semi-sweet Bakers chocolate bar into small chunks; place the chocolate in a small mixing bowl and set aside. In a small saucepan, heat the heavy whipping cream over medium heat just until it begins to simmer. Pour the hot cream over the chopped semi-sweet chocolate and let it stand for 5 minutes. Whisk the chocolate and cream together until well blended then let stand for 15 minutes to thicken. Spoon the chocolate ganache over cookies.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes