These Cherry Pie Bars are just the best! A perfect dessert for the cherry lover, but anyone will enjoy this sweet treat. Tender sugar cookie-like crust topped with cherry pie filling then drizzled with creamy frosting–this is a great recipe to make for a picnic, easy holiday dessert, a party, or for a quick weeknight dessert.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 (21 ounce can cherry pie filling (regular or extra cherry variety)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8×8 inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract and beat until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Scoop 1 ½ cups of the dough mixture into the prepared pan and press down to form the bottom crust. Spread the pie filling over the crust. Dollop the remaining dough all over the top of the pie filling.
- Bake the cherry bars at 350F for 30-35 minutes until set and beginning to turn golden brown around the edges.
- Cool the cherry bars in the pan until room temperature. Combine the powdered sugar and milk to make the glaze and drizzle over the cooled cherry bars. Cut into 9 squares to serve.
Keywords: cherries, cherry pie, pie, dessert