In 2014 I’ve made a dramatic change in just a small area: lunch. Sometimes our lives get so crazy that a total food and fitness overhaul is just not going to happen. So start with a simple change! Making your own lunch saves money, is almost always healthier than eating out, and doesn’t have to take very much time.
Here’s my lunch today: turkey, lettuce, tomato, and light mayo on Sara Lee® Delightful Bread. Yum! Totally full of flavor, satisfying, and simple. Perfect lunch. This big sandwich is less than 250 calories.
Now, instead of hitting the drive thru at lunchtime, I have a homemade lunch. I’ve discovered my cravings for fast food has almost disappeared and I really prefer the healthier lunch options.
This week I used Sara Lee® Delightful Bread to make a fun afternoon snacktivity (activity + snack) with my daughter. I remember doing this as a little girl: Milk Paint Toast. So much fun! Here is how you can do this with your little ones:
4 slices Sara Lee® Delightful Bread
4 tablespoons milk, divided
Food-safe paint brushes or pastry brushes
1. Pour one tablespoon milk into each ramekin.
2. Add three drops of food coloring to each ramekin and stir.
3. Use pastry brushes to paint one side of each slice of bread. Have fun and be creative! Avoid soaking the bread too much. Just brush the paint gently over the bread.
4. Toast each slice of painted bread until golden brown.
5. Spread the painted toast with butter or other toppings.
Makes 4 servings.
My little girl had so much fun with this project! The end result was yummy and pretty toast that we topped with cinnamon honey butter. Delish!