This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SameTasteNewLook #CollectiveBias
Decadent Brownie S’mores Trifle
It’s been a hectic few weeks and I’ve honestly been in a bit of an emotional funk since my little one finished preschool last week. The busyness isn’t letting up any time soon with dance recital week coming up and a summer full of activity. With all we’ve got on our plate right now, my daughter and I took a little time out to create a super chocolaty treat: Decadent Brownie S’mores Trifle
This dessert is a showstopper! I used a delicious Edwards® S’mores Pie as the base of this trifle. I love pie and often pick up an Edwards® Pie from the freezer section at Walmart.
Edwards® Pie’s are perfect for ANY occasion whether you’re celebrating a birthday, graduation, work event, or bringing a pie to a picnic or potluck. On my last trip to Walmart I purchased an Edwards® Triple Coconut Pie and the S’mores Pie I used in my trifle recipe.
I planned on taking the Edwards® Triple Coconut Pie to a picnic this Friday night… but I guess I’ll have to stop by the store for another one! It was a nice “mommy time out” treat in the midst of my busy Wednesday afternoon. After all, Edwards® pies are a great way to embrace the chaos and enjoy the journey!
The Edwards® S’mores Pie is made with a layer of chocolate cream filling in a graham cracker crust and topped with toasty marshmallows and a drizzle of chocolate syrup. Yum!
To create my Decadent Brownie S’mores Trifle, I cut the pie into large bite sized chunks to layer in my trifle dish.
Homemade brownies are really easy to make! I whipped up a batch and cut them into 1-inch squares to layer in the trifle.
I make s’mores occasionally at home as a special treat. Marshmallows toast up nicely in the oven, so I decided to toast a pile of them to top the trifle. Now, when you do this, do not walk away. I repeat, DO NOT WALK AWAY. Marshmallows burn quickly and that’s not a good thing when they’re in your oven.
You’ll also want to be sure to use plenty of non-stick spray under the marshmallows to keep them from sticking to the parchment paper. Mine did stick a little, so I placed them on a hot cookie sheet for a minute to melt the bottoms and then the whole heap of marshmallows slid off the paper nicely.
If you have a cooking torch, you could always skip the oven broiling of the marshmallows, pile them on to the top of the trifle, then toast the marshmallows with the torch.
The final touch for this over-the-top trifle is a healthy drizzle of homemade chocolate sauce. *swoon*
I was carried away into chocolate heaven as I
doused drizzled my trifle in chocolate sauce, and so I didn’t realize I was making a big mess! Chocolate sauce began to spill over the sides of the trifle. It turns out to be kind of yummy looking for these pictures, so I left the drips alone.
Decadent Brownie S’mores Trifle
- Prep Time: 45
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (can substitute milk)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 ounce bag marshmallows (regular size, not mini)
- 1 Edwards® S’mores Pie, thawed
Additional Items Needed
- 1 tifle dish
- Parchment paper
- Large bowl
- Small sauce pan
- 9×13 glass baking dish
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Cookie sheet
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar for 3-5 minutes on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
3. Stir in flour, cocoa, and salt until mixed well. Add chocolate chips.
4. Spread the batter into a greased 9×13 baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. While the brownies are baking, combine the Chocolate Sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture comes to a light boil. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
6. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place a trifle dish upside down onto the parchment paper and use a knife or food safe pen to mark around the opening of the dish. You should end up with a circle in the same size as the opening of the trifle dish marked onto the parchment paper.
7. Coat the parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray and pile the marshmallows onto the parchment paper inside the marked circle.
8. Set the oven to broil and place the cookie sheet with the marshmallows on the center rack. Broil for 3-5 minutes, watching constantly to prevent burning. Set the toasted marshmallows aside.
9. Assemble the trifle as follows
Layer 1 – Cut half of the Edwards® S’mores Pie into large bite size chunks and arrange in the bottom of the trifle dish.
Layer 2 – Cut half the cooled brownies into 1-inch chunks and arrange in the trifle dish on top of the chunks of pie.
Layer 3 – Repeat layer 1.
Layer 4 – Repeat layer 2.
Layer 5 – Drizzle with half of the cooled chocolate sauce.
Layer 6 – Lift the parchment paper from the cookie sheet and turn the marshmallows upside down onto the cookie sheet. Peel the parchment paper off the marshmallows using a buttered spatula. If it sticks a little, stay calm! Just work slowly and carefully with the sticky marshmallows until the parchment paper is removed, then use the cookie sheet to help transfer the toasted marshmallows to top off the trifle.
Layer 7 – Drizzle with the remaining chocolate sauce.
Serve immediately and garnish with whipped cream or powdered sugar if desired.
- Serving Size: 16
- Calories: 725
- Sugar: 60
- Sodium: 288
- Fat: 32
- Saturated Fat: 16
- Unsaturated Fat: 14
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 108
- Protein: 8
- Cholesterol: 97
Enjoy your ooey gooey chocolaty s’mores happiness! Be sure to check out Edwards Pies by clicking here for more inspiration.