This post was sponsored by Sunshine Sweet Corn as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
I love corn on the cob! There’s nothing quite like the crisp, sweet flavor of fresh corn dripping with creamy butter. It makes me feel warm and happy; like summer on my plate. Every summertime meal is made complete with a big pile of piping hot corn, straight from the cob.
But WAIT! We don’t actually have to wait for summer to have fresh corn! Sunshine Sweet Corn is available NOW at your local grocery! This delicious corn is grown in Florida, non-GMO, extra tender, and regulated for quality control which makes it your best guaranteed sweet tasting corn now in April and May.
This is the corn you want to feed your family. Sunshine Sweet Corn is such an easy addition to your spring meals. Once you taste it, you’ll be hooked!
Sunshine Sweet Corn Soup
I recently visited the Sunshine Sweet Corn website and found a variety of recipes featuring corn. This delicious Roasted Corn Chowder caught my eye:
Sunshine Sweet Corn Soup is comforting, hearty, and lightly sweet from the fresh corn. A garnish of sour cream, fresh red bell pepper, and little rounds of corn on the cob make the soup feel extra special and fun.
This thick, hardy stew is absolutely full of oven roasted sweet corn. I loaded up two baking sheets of Sunshine Sweet Corn and roasted them inside the husk in my oven under the broiler. The original recipe calls for broiling until blackened, but to avoid any smoke in my kitchen, I stopped short and broiled just until the husks were dark brown.
After the corn is roasted and cooled, I employed my five year old to help shuck the corn. This was always my job as a kid, so I’m happy to pass on the tradition to my little one. She does need some practice, so this time, I did most of the work!
I’m always happy to find a delicious vegetarian meal option. This Sunshine Sweet Corn Soup is sure to please the whole family!
Some tools you’ll need for this recipe are a large pot, a good sharp knife, and an immersion blender. A regular blender could also work, however, the immersion blender negates the need to transfer hot soup into a blender, which can be a messy process.
Sunshine Sweet Corn soup is like corn on the cob in a bowl! Find the original recipe for this Roasted Corn Chowder by clicking here.
- 18 ears Sunshine Sweet corn, with husks, divided
- 3/4 cup peanut oil (or olive oil)
- 24 ounces (2-½ cups) finely diced onion
- 8 ounces (1 cup) finely diced celery
- 4 ounces (½ cup) finely diced carrot
- 1-1/2 ounces (¼ cup) finely chopped jalapeños
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 6 ounces (about 1 cup) sweet red bell pepper, diced
- 1. Preheat oven to broil. Broil corn on the cob and still in the husk until blackened (or dark brown) on all sides; cool; remove husks and silks.
- 2. Cut 4 of the ears into 24 (1-inch) rounds; reserve for garnish.
- 3. Cut the kernels from the remaining 14 ears (makes about 3-½ pounds or 2-½ quarts); break cobs in halves and reserve to use in making the broth.
- 4. In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrot; cook until tender but not browned, about 10 minutes.
- 5. Stir in jalapeño, thyme, sage, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 6. Add reserved cobs and 2 quarts water. Raise heat to high, cover and bring to a boil.
- 7. Reduce heat; simmer until flavors are well blended, about 45 minutes. Remove and discard cobs.
- 8. Add the corn kernels, reserving about 1 cup (set aside), and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
- 9. Remove pot from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree soup. Add remaining corn kernels; adjust seasonings.
- To plate: Spoon into soup bowls. Garnish each portion with 2 of the reserved corn wheels and, if desired, with a dollup of sour cream or crème fraiche; sprinkle with bell pepper.
- Number of servings (yield): 12 portions (about 3-½ quarts)
Add Sunshine Sweet Corn to your grocery list and enjoy it with your springtime family meals!
Be sure to check out the Sunshine Sweet Corn website for recipes and tips on cooking with corn.