This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sargento® Cheese for IZEA. All opinions are 100% mine.
Have you ever had a Monte Cristo sandwich? I mean, a really good Monte Cristo sandwich? The salty meats paired with rich melted cheese sandwiched between soft bread and surrounded by golden fried batter. The flavor and texture is so deliciously comforting and just plain happy, you’ll want to treat yourself to this special sandwich on any special occasion!
I was recently so excited to receive a box full of wonderful Sargento® Sliced Cheese. Sargento® Slices are 100% natural and a much better alternative than typical American singles that are only required to contain 51% cheese. Sargento® Slices come in all the best varieties such as Swiss, Pepper Jack, Provolone, and Sharp Cheddar. So great for snacking, sandwiches, and recipes. I decided to use my Sargento® Slices to make my crave-worthy Monte Cristo Sandwiches. The Swiss cheese slices are just perfect for this recipe, but don’t hold back; you can layer other Sargento® Slices in your sandwich too!
Find delicious food inspirations from Sargento® Sliced Cheese by checking them out on Instagram and Facebook. A Monte Cristo starts as a sandwich of turkey, ham, and Swiss cheese on white bread. You may also wish to add a little mustard and mayonnaise to your sandwich, although I did not. Once the sandwiches are built, slice them into four smaller squares, dip them in batter, then fry them until golden brown. Monte Cristo Sandwiches are eaten warm after being dusted with powdered sugar. I highly recommend dipping your sandwiches in dipping the sandwiches in seedless raspberry jam that has been warmed a little.
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 slices Sargento Swiss cheese
- 8 slices deli turkey
- 8 slices deli ham
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar for dusting
- Seedless raspberry jam for dipping
- 1. In a medium bowl, beat together the egg and water with a whisk. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and granulated sugar and mix well.
- 2. Remove the crust from the slices of bread. Lay out 4 slices of the bread and layer each slice evenly with 2 slices of ham, 1 slice of cheese, and 2 slices of turkey. Top the 4 sandwiches with the remaining slices of bread to create 4 complete sandwiches.
- 3. Cut each sandwich into 4 bite size squares.
- 4. Heat about 3-5 inches of oil in a large pot to about 365 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- 5. Dip each sandwich quarter into the batter and lower gently with a fork into the hot oil. Fry each sandwich until golden brown on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Cool on paper towels.
- 6. Dust the sandwiches with powdered sugar and serve with warmed seedless raspberry jam for dipping.