Well, here we go again! Another crazy Black Friday is on its way! I’m sure you’re seeing all of the posts on Facebook criticizing the Black Friday shopping tradition, debates over whether stores should be open on Thanksgiving or not, and general conversations like “are you doing Black Friday or not?”
How do you feel about Black Friday? Love it? Hate it? Don’t care either way?
I will admit to being solidly on the fence when it comes to Black Friday. I love a good deal as much as, maybe more than, anyone else. Still, the chaos in recent years has ruined what could have otherwise been a fun after-Thanksgiving tradition.
It’s pretty clear why people do not like Black Friday:
- Crowds to a dangerous level
- Black Friday greed is swallowing up our holiday which is all about being thankful
- Long lines
- No sleep
- Thousands of people vying for a handful of items; a situation which can turn folks crazy
- The thrill of the hunt
- Great bargains
- A yearly tradition
As you gear up for Black Friday, here are some tips for doing it the right/smart way:
- Set a budget. Don’t be dumb; do this first.
- Make a list of items you need to buy.
- Go through the ads and match the sales to the list of things you want to buy.
- Do some research to see if those items can be purchased online with free shipping.
- If there are items you want that will not (for some dumb reason) be available to order online, then plan out your Black Friday shopping time wisely.
- For the love of Pete, stop for a minute and think twice… no, five times! before you go shopping on Thanksgiving Day. It’s a holiday. Spend the day with your family for goodness sake!
- When you go shopping, dress warmly if you’re in a cold climate because you might be waiting outside.
- Bring coffee and snacks.
- DO NOT bring small children! This from the lady who brings her kid everywhere… Black Friday shopping is not appropriate for little ones! Seriously, it can get crazy and small children can get hurt. If you can’t afford a sitter then you can’t afford to go Black Friday shopping.
- Be NICE! Be patient. Be smart.
Have fun all you crazy shoppers! I’ll wish you a happy Black Friday from my cozy bed in my warm hotel room.
Other Posts You’ll Like: